Book Notes: Think and Grow Rich
These are highlights/notes from book “Think and Grow Rich” by Napoleon Hill and Ben Holden-Crowther.
These are personal notes, would recommend reading the book, but in case you are short on time - just skim through these notes 😊
The book focuses on it’s title from the start, explaining and building up a process to be RICH. I have jotted down key takeaways in form of lists.
Thanks to the authors for such an awesome book! Let’s dive in -
- Choose a definite goal, place all your energy and effort on that goal
- Leave no way of retreat. Either win or perish( then try again)
Everyone wants to be rich, you need to plan and ask following questions -
- Define a amount.
- What exactly you need to give in return of money you desire
- Setup a timeline for achieving that
- Plan out for carrying out your desire
- Write it all down somewhere
- Read it again and believe that you can. Measure if you are nearning your goal daily/weekly/monthly.
- Practical dreamers do not quit
Chapter 3 - Faith
- The emotions of faith, love and sex are most powerful of all positive emotions.
- Mind with positive emotions becomes favourable abode for the state of mind known as faith.
- Perfection will come through practice, not just by reading instructions.
- Faith is the external exilir which gives life, power and action to the impulse of thought
- Faith is anecdote to FAILURE
- Man who wins is the man who THINKS HE CAN.
- Biggest example of faith is religion and god. Those preaching from christ are not miracles but just mere faiths.
Chapter 4 - Auto Suggesstion
- Subconcious mind recognizes and acts upon only thought which have been well-mixed with emotion or feeling.
- Do not wait for a definite plan. Begin at once, but keep demanding and expecting.
Chapter 5 - Speacialized Knowledge
- 2 kinds - General and specialized
- General - not much use in accumulation of money
- Knowledge will not attract money unless it is organized and planned via action.
- Knowledge is power only when it is organized
- An educated man is one who has so developed his mind that he may acquire anything he wants.
- You must know where to get knowledge when you need it and how to organize that.
- Doing a thing well is never trouble.
- Idea is the key, specialized knowledge can be found somewhere.
Chapter 6 - Imagination
- Man can create anything he can imagine
- Man is limited with development and use of the imagination
- 2 types -
- Synthetic - using old ideas and explanations
- Creative - new ideas, works automatically.
- Put your imagination to work on plans to achieve your desire.
- Start of coca-cola with a imagination.
- Riches will not just come with hard work, it requires application of definite principles.
Chapter 7 - Organized Planning
How to build plans -
- Get group of people you need for creation and carrying out your plan
- Decide what benfits you offer individual members of your group in return.
- Arrange meetings twice a week with your group
- Maintain good relationship with your group
- No one can build fortunes alone.
- Have a no-quit attitude and mindset.After all, Winner never quits.
Intelligent followers become great leaders.
Attributes of leadership
- Unwavering courage
- Self control
- Keen sense of justice
- Definiteness of decision and plans
- Doing more than what you are paid for
- Pleasing personality
- Mastery of detail
- Assume full responsibility
Fields where new leadership will be required
What to have when applying for a role
- Keep in concise and neat
How to get exact position you desire
- Decide what kind of job you want
- Choose list of companies/individuals
- Do research about them - Pro/Cons list
- Analysis based on research, what’s best for you?
- Reach out to some options that remain in list
Causes of Failure
- Lack of purpose and ambition
- Insufficient Education
- Lack of self-discipline
- Ill health
- Lack of persistence
- Lack of power of decision
- Over caution - taking no chances
- Wrong selection of people in personal and professional life
- Intolerance and Intemperance
- Dishonesty, egotism and vanity
- Guessing instead of thinking
Chapter 8 - Decision
- Reach decisions prompty
- Don’t be influenced by opinions of others
- If influenced you’ll have no desire of your own
- Talk less, keep your ears and eyes open, mouth closed
- Tell the world what you want to do, but first show it. (Action over words)
Chapter 9 - Persistence
- Transmuting desire into its monetary equivalent
- Persistence is a direct result of maintaining habits.
- It comes from desire, will power and definiteness of plans
- Keep willing instead of just wishing.
Avoid fear of criticism. Aim high and work for it, some people will always criticize.
If you ask people, what do they want most in life, 80% of them will answer - happiness, money, security, fame and power, etc. People rarely have definiteness of plans. You can’t have everything in one go, always aim for a specific goals.
- How to develop persistence?
- Definite purpose
- Definite plan
- Remove all negative influences.
- Friendly alliances who encourage you.
Chapter 10 - Power of the Master Mind
- Power translates plans into action
- Power here -> Organized effort to convert desires into monetary equivalent
How to acquire power?
- Experiment and Research
- Great eg. Mahatma gandhi who gave 200 million indians a definite purpose. He had immense power with which he lead to independence of india!
Chapter 11 - Mystery of Sex
Sex we think of is just physical due to improper influences. There’s more to it!
Sex desire is most powerful of human desires - It develops imagination, courage, will-power, persistence and creative ability. Think about it, if all this energy is harnessed towards your goal, is your goal not achievable?
Ten mind stimuli
- Desire for sex
- Master mind alliance
- Mututal suffering
- Auto suggestion
- Narcotics, drugs and alchohol
Difference between normal and genuis person is that “sixth sense” which is basically creative imagination.
Chapter 12 - The subconcious mind
- Medium of communication between thinking mind and infinite intelligence
- It works voluntarily, just make efforts in right direction towards your desires
Subconcious mind is most influenced by the emotion/feelings.
Seven positive emotions -
Seven negative emotions
- Anger Chapter 13 - The Brain
- Creative imagination is receiving set of brain, which receives thoughts by brain of others.
- Mostly around how complex is human brain
Chapter 14 - The Sixth Sense
- It is the portion of subconcious mind that has been referred to as the Creative Imagination.
- It cannot be experienced without achieving the 12 principle above
- It comes via meditation through mind development from within.
- Self suggestion is powerful factor in building character.
Chapter 15 - Six Ghosts of Fear
Three enemies to clear out -
Six basic fears -
- Self consciousness
- Lack of poise
- Personality (Charm, ability of expressing opinions)
- Inferiority Complex
- Lack of initiative
- Lack of ambition
- Hypochondria - habit of talking of illness
Loss of love
- Fault Finding
- Gambling - Love cannot be bought :)
- This is useless. Death will come no matter what, live the life you have.
- Remember matter and energy can’t be created or destroyed.
- Thinking about death - old man worry
Fear paralyzes abiloty to reason, faculty of imagination, kills self-reliance -> leads to uncertainity of purpose, turns will power into nothingness
Life is a checkerboard, player opposite to you is TIME. If you hesitate, men will be wiped off the board by TIME. Indecision will not be tolerated.
Liked the article? Consider supporting me ☕️
Feel free to suggest improvements ✔️
I hope you learned something interesting and new. Don’t miss out on the latest blogs — Subscribe now
Interested in more technology, productivity and life stuff? I share updates/knowledge almost daily on Twitter.
Reach out to me at https://mohitkhare.me/
Keep exploring 🔎 Keep learning 🚀